Prozac for a 7 year old?

By snowbutterfly Latest Activity December 17, 2012 at 5:22 pm Views 717 Replies 12

snowbutterfly

My child suffers from an over active bladder that causes both bladder and bowel accidents everyday. I've seen our pediatrician, urologist and now have been sent to a psychologist. One proven reason for incontinance is depression / anxiety and the Dr. Is suggesting Prozac. My child is not depressed. I know, I've had depression for over 20 years. Anxiety, well maybe. I'm just conflicted giving my child a drug that alters the mind when her mind has not fully developed.
Would you give your child Prozac?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (12 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Kails
    Kails December 18, 2012 at 11:30 am   

My sister was 10 or so when the doctors put her on Zoloft. Just depends. My sister was on it for a year and it really helped her. But if your child isn't having severe panic attacks or social anxiety, don't do it. Doctors go through so many patients daily…

• csajourney
    csajourney December 17, 2012 at 9:35 pm   

As a last resort, YES. As a first line of defense… hell to the NO! There must be a better way. If they feel it's anxiety/depression, that's fine… PROVE IT! There are coping skills before addicting a kid to a lifetime of meds. I wish the medical and mental health community would whip out common sense before whipping out their prescription pads. I was just diagnosed with anxiety and the first thing they did was offer me Xanax. Yeah! I can now pass out in 20 minutes. When I wake up, I've still got the same issues. Hope you can get someone on board with your thoughts before they go pushing theirs on you.

• trey80
    trey80 December 17, 2012 at 8:55 pm   

No way would I give it to a child that young.

• amandaf123456
    amandaf123456 December 17, 2012 at 5:59 pm   

I was on Prozac at that age and still am. It's fine it's proven safe for children. It is mainly anxiety over depression. They are generally lumped together

• snowbutterfly
    snowbutterfly December 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm   

I never considered how long they want her on the drug. You've got me thinking. The problem with me is that I have my own feelings, but I respect the Dr.s opinion as well. It's reassuring to hear someone else has taken the drug and it has helped them through their illness. Thanks for replying.

• amandaf123456
    amandaf123456 December 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm   

It can be a temporary thing. People hear the name Prozac and immediately go to this place of I don't want my kid on that I don't want to be on that, it's only for bad depression. The reality is Prozac comes in many forms and is not addicting. It works more on the anxiety portion and it just helps to manage the symptoms. It's not a full out your kid is depressed this will stop it its a your kid likely has anxiety and this will help to manage the symptoms. Other treatment like therapy is still better and should be used along side it