Eating when anxious

By brandonbrian Latest Activity November 24, 2012 at 11:14 pm Views 498 Replies 8

brandonbrian

When I have anxiety, I tend to eat a lot. It helps me feel better, obviously. I can't seem to find anything else to distract me. Could anyone tell me if this is normal and how I could stop eating when anxious?

Thanks for reading.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (8 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Trinbean
    Trinbean November 25, 2012 at 11:29 am   

I am getting FATTER by the day!!! If you come across any methods to helps this .. let us know.

• Kails
    Kails November 25, 2012 at 12:03 am   

I do this all the time. I've done it since I was a kid. I'm actually (starting tomorrow) a new routine that I want to make daily. Where I'm eating healthier and also exercising more. The foods we eat will make us more anxious or less anxious :) interesting to think about! Here if you need anything at all!

• brandonbrian
    brandonbrian November 25, 2012 at 12:05 am   

Thanks Kails. I was thinking of doing the same thing tomorrow too.

• Kails
    Kails November 25, 2012 at 12:06 am   

Join me on my adventure! :)

• brandonbrian
    brandonbrian November 25, 2012 at 12:07 am   

Sure will :)

• besixdouze
    besixdouze November 24, 2012 at 11:25 pm   

Hey Brandon! It's totally normal to eat too much (or little) when anxious. Even people without anxiety disorders can fall into this trap. I'm a big advocate of therapy, but recognizing your habits means you're not too far gone. Sometimes all too need to do, ie panic attacks, is stop yourself and tell yourself it's the anxiety talking. Do this whenever you find yourself eating more than usual. Sometimes people eat because they are fidgety. If so, find something to keep your hands occupied. Also, if you feel hungrier than usual, get plenty of water. A lot of people think they're hungry when they're actually dehydrated. I pigged out when I was in grad school due to stress, but now I've been having heart-centered health anxiety so I'm very cautious about what I eat—except dark chocolate. I convince myself since its loaded with antioxidants I'm not doing too much damage. :)

• brandonbrian
    brandonbrian November 24, 2012 at 11:33 pm   

Thanks besixdouze, that really helped! I'll remember that.
    Though, another concern, which would make my post even more understandable is that I won't eat for about a day or two, then at the last minute, I'll eat everything and anything.

• besixdouze
    besixdouze November 24, 2012 at 11:41 pm   

I kind of know what that's like, though it may not be anxiety related. I'd go on really strict diets but by the end of the evening I'd be so hungry I'd sabotage myself and go on a binge—Taco Bell or what have you. All I can say is that activity is bad for you so try as hard as possible not to do it. Because you haven't eaten for days, your body will assume the next time you eat that it will need to hold onto extra fat since it may be a while before you eat again, and since you binge there is a lot more fat to hold onto. In the end, you're losing muscle but keeping fat. It's a vicious cycle as with most things anxiety related.