Chest tightness and feeling of shallow breathing

By beamerboy325is Latest Activity March 2, 2012 at 11:45 am Views 1,581 Replies 12

beamerboy325is

Hey just wondering? Does anyone get shortness of breath before or durning sleep or cant catch your breath when lying in bed? I used to get it lying on my back but now I get it when I lay down on my sides and it happens until I fall asleep sometimes it wakes me up.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (12 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • beamerboy325is
    beamerboy325is March 14, 2012 at 9:54 am   

Hey guys, just want to give you guys an update. I've been feeling much better now. I stayed home yesterday alone as my wife went to her appointment and I went out alone to pickup groceries to Walmart. It felt great! I'm going to try again today. The way im doing it is by just trying to tell myself when my wife went out is by saying to myself I'm ok there's nothing wrong with being alone and that I will like it. Also I'm trying panic meds for the first time and they do help big time. So to anyone that thinks like me and doesn't want meds or hasn't tried them? Give it ago, I had no side effects and I started a low does and I'm fine. You have nothing to lose only to gain. Good luck friends!

• StokesLaura
    StokesLaura March 7, 2012 at 7:49 am   

The first sign I get when an anxiety attack ensues is the inability to catch my breath — isn't it awful?! However, I find the trick is to try and take the SMALLEST breaths possible, thru the nose only, inhaling and exhaling very very very slowly, with plenty of rest between each breath to prevent hyperventilation. As breathing becomes easier, gradually take deeper breaths til you've eventually made your way up to long, deep inhales and exhales. Challenge yourself to do as many cycles as you can in bed before you fall asleep, or while a song plays in the car. Eventually you'll forget you're doing it and calm distractions will return!!

• beamerboy325is
    beamerboy325is March 7, 2012 at 9:29 am   

Thank you! That sounds good! I will try it the next time I drive far alone. Or I'm home alone longer than an hour. You guys are all great and I appreciate everyone's help so, so much!

• StokesLaura
    StokesLaura March 7, 2012 at 9:31 am   

Thats why we're here! :) PS I'm doing the breathing exercize as we speak lol

• joboy30
    joboy30 March 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm   

Hi
    Beamerboy, I get this too, and have it as I'm typing this! It's very unnerving I know, and it's not easy whilst it's happening to convince yourself it's anxiety and that's it. There are many solutions, but a good start at least would be to remind yourself that what is causing this extreme discomfort is in fact muscular tension. Sounds simple, despite how horrid it feels! But it starts with anxiety making muscles tight, then we misinterpret that feeling and think the worst. Once I recognized this , it was still uncomfy but I
    Slowly stopped catastrophizing it :) hope this helps!

• beamerboy325is
    beamerboy325is March 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm   

Yes it can be horrid at times even to the point where I thought I was never going to catch my breath even though I always end up catching it. What I don't understand is why me? I don't smoke I don't drink or do drugs and I'm fairly active. I own a welding business of nine years so I'm always dealing with contractors. I don't have social anxiety. My anxiety comes from not trusting my self fully because when in alone that's when the chest tightness strikes and I get nerves from thinking about it. So I'm stuck having to take people with me. But what's even more interesting is that I can drive by myself or be alone if I really try but with discomfort and I dont drive far anymore because of this.

• Christieinez
    Christieinez March 5, 2012 at 12:18 am   

Yes medication can take 6-8 weeks. If you feel that it's making it worse, then go back to your doctor as soon as possible.

• beamerboy325is
    beamerboy325is March 5, 2012 at 5:43 am   

I'm actually starting to feel better so far thank god! I'm going to keep taking this med as I havent experienced any side effects.

• beamerboy325is
    beamerboy325is March 3, 2012 at 11:18 am   

I did get test on my heart and an MRI and it was good. It's only located in my center area of my chest there's no pain or numbness only tight feeling but not crazy tight. It feels like a 2 lb weight in that one small area. I can work out and I'm fine, I don't smoke or drink and I just started medication for anxiety. I'm just confused because Im wondering why this med I'm taking isn't relieving my tightness? I guess that's what concerning me. Does it take more that two weeks to kick in?

• JuanChavez
    JuanChavez March 3, 2012 at 1:24 am   

I got the same thing but if ur physically fine then it's all anxiety.. It suxs to have anxiety but we got to deal with it

• Christieinez
    Christieinez March 2, 2012 at 8:55 pm   

Yes it has happened to me. I get scared that Im not going to wake up. It took time but i eventually stopped freaking myself out.

• NormaJean62
    NormaJean62 March 2, 2012 at 4:09 pm   

You should see a Dr. If tests come back ok then u know it's a symptom of anxiety which will allow u to combat it because u know the source